Jimmy Charles is a former member of the Florida House of Representatives and Assistant Attorney General who has fought for consumers in the Florida state and federal courts since 1986. His practice includes standing up to banks and mortgage companies representing consumers and homeowners with consumer debt and mortgage delinquency and default resolution counseling, foreclosure defense, mortgage modifications including HAMP, short sales and debt relief. He also represents homeowners and insureds who have disputes with their insurance companies regarding their insurance claims for hurricane, homeowners, automobile or other liability or casualty claims.
The Law Office of James N. Charles is a full-service law firm serving clients in Central Florida and throughout the state. Please contact our office in Celebration, FL with questions about your legal issue.
Law Office of James N. Charles, 1995- PRESENT
- Private law practice, Daytona Beach and Celebration, full service law practice including federal and state court cases, consumer protection cases including defending homeowners facing mortgage foreclosure, unfair and deceptive trade practices, creditors and debt collectors and credit reporting matters.
Morgan, Colling & Gilbert, 1993-1994
- Of counsel, personal injury practice Daytona Beach.
Office of Attorney General Robert A. Butterworth, 1989-1992
- Senior Attorney, Assistant Attorney General, Daytona Beach, Criminal Appeals Bureau, criminal appeals in state and federal courts
- Special Counsel, Troop D, Florida Highway Patrol- handled contraband forfeiture cases
- Legal Counsel for Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind
Cobb, Cole & Bell, 1986-1989
- Associate Attorney, private law practice, Daytona Beach and Tallahassee offices, civil litigation and governmental affairs and lobbying, including serving as co-legal counsel for Bethune-Cookman College and Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. Also represented several homeowners associations.
Political and Community Experience
Member, Florida House of Representatives, District 27, 1992-1994
- Elected to represent state house district comprised of Eastern Volusia County and including cities of Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach, Holly Hill, South Daytona and Daytona Beach Shores.
- Vice Chairman, Governmental Operations Committee, Governmental Efficiency Subcommittee, Special Task Force to review improving school construction cost-efficiency
- Criminal Justice Committee, Prosecution and Punishment Subcommittee, Special Task Force to review juvenile justice system reforms
- Higher Education Committee, Finance and Programs Subcommittee
- Insurance Committee, Property and Casualty Insurance Subcommittee
- Finance and Taxation Committee, General Government Subcommittee
- Joint Administrative Procedures Committee
- Elected President of Freshman Class of House Members elected in 1992 election
- Legislator of the Year Award, Family Network on Disabilities of Florida, for championing the Family Support Plan Legislation, 1993
- Quality Floridian Award, Florida League of Cities, for support of issues affecting municipalities, July 1993
- Serenity House of Volusia, award October 1992
- Roll Call Pro Biz Award, Florida Chamber of Commerce, 1994
Florida Justice Fellowship Criminal Justice Task Force, 1989-1992
- Part of the national organization founded by Chuck Colson in association with Prison Fellowship to promote prison reform and restorative justice
Volusia County Bar Association, 1986-1989
- Active member
Leadership Daytona Beach, Class VIII
- Daytona Beach and Halifax Area Chamber
- Daytona Beach Leadership Council
Florida Democratic Party
- Florida Young Democrats, State Vice President for Development, 1989-1990
- Volusia County Democratic Executive Committee, 1986-1989
- Volusia County Young Democrats, President, 1987-1988
Bethune-Cookman College Wildcat Athletic Association, 1988-1989
- Charter Member and Steering Committee
Volusia County Gator Club Board of Directors, 1986-1993
Tiger Bay Club of Volusia County, 1987-1996
- Charter member and guest speaker 1992 and 1994
Leadership and Academic Experience and Honors at University of Florida
Outstanding Male graduate, December 1993 Commencement
- Selected as the Outstanding Male Graduate of the entire university graduation class based upon outstanding academic and leadership.
University of Florida Hall of Fame, 1983-1984
- In recognition of outstanding academic and leadership accomplishment and service at the University of Florida
University of Florida Athletic Association, 1985-1986
- Board of Directors Member
Florida Blue Key 1982
- Selected to membership in UF’s most prestigious honorary organization in recognition of outstanding ability, leadership and service to the University of Florida.
Chief Justice, Student Traffic Court, 1982
- Elected by student body
University of Florida Campus Planning Assembly, 1982-1983
- Student member of UF committee overseeing the growth and development of the campus and facilities, chaired by Executive Vice President of university.
University of Florida Presidential Search AND SCREENING Committee, 1983
- Student member of UF committee charged with the search for and screening of the candidates for university president. Narrowed field to 3 finalists including Marshall Criser who was selected by the Board of Regents.
Eminent Scholar Search and Screening committee, College of Agriculture Department of Food and Resource Economics, 1983
- Student member of UF committee charged with the search for and screening of the candidates for the first Eminent Scholar Endowed Professorship in the department.
Juris Doctor | August 1986 | University of Florida College of Law
- Coursework included civil and criminal procedural and substantive law including semester of jurisprudence taught by visiting professor, C.G. Weeramantry, LLC, former Justice of the Supreme Court of Sri Lanka and Vice President, International Court of Justice.
Bachelor of Science with honors | December 1983 | University of Florida College of Agriculture
- Major: Food and Resource Economics
- Dean’s Award for Outstanding Senior Student- 1983
- T. Yorke, Jr., Award of Merit for Outstanding Junior Student- 1982
- Hal W. Lively Endowed Academic Scholarship- awarded for top academic ranking upon acceptance into Department of Food and Resource Economics, covered 75% of all college expenses for Junior and Senior years.
Associate of Arts with High honors | June 1981 | University of Florida College of Liberal arts and sciences
- Undergraduate Honors Program- admission limited to very highest GPA and standardized test scores, received enhanced academic curriculum and smaller discussion classes with one-on-one professor contact and grading based upon end of quarter essays.